Sunday, October 16, 2011

Power of Music

Anyone who knows me knows that I love music. Music is my therapy. There are days when I am feeling emotions that I just can't describe and I will hear a song and it will express exactly what I am feeling. I love all kinds of music. A few weeks ago, our ward had our Primary Program and serving as the Primary President, I always stress that everything is going to go well for the program. This year I wasn't stressed by it and when all my Primary kids sang the "Army of Helaman" song, it brought tears to my eyes. The Spirit speaks loudly through music. On 9/11 this year, I was deeply touched by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's rendition of "Amazing Grace" during the Music and the Spoken Word program. I was again brought to tears. But music doesn't just make me cry or feel the spirit. It brings a lot of other emotions out. I feel hope, courage, love, strength, remorse, sadness, and so many other feelings when I listen to music. I know a lot of my friends tease me for going to as many concerts as I do, but live music for me is the best way to feel those emotions. Too many of us keep our emotions inside and never express them. I think this can be destructive to our spirits and unhealthy in our relationships. It is so important to allow yourself to feel whatever emotions you need to and music helps me to feel those things. I love all kinds of music for this very reason. Different kinds of music allows me to feel different kinds of emotions. I believe that there is a power in music not just for the person playing or singing the song, but for those of us who just enjoy listening to it as well. So I ask the question, what kind of music do you like and how does it make you feel?
Many people will ask what music I am listening to lately so here is a small look inside some of the songs on my iPod:
1. BON JOVI- Many wonder why I love this group so much. It  is a long story, but let's just say many of their songs are about hope and overcoming things and they make me happy. A few of my favorites: "Born to be My Baby", "Superman Tonight", "In These Arms", "You Want to Make a Memory", and "It's My Life". I could go on and on and on :)
2. Adele- I love her entire new CD but "Someone Like You" and "Set Fire to the Rain" are my favorites.
3. Daughtry- Love all of their songs but really digging the new one "Crawlin' Back to You"
4.  David Cook- Love him! Been listening to his new CD to get ready for his concert that I am going to this week in Boise with my friend, Steph. Favorites: "Fade into Me", "The Last Goodbye", "4 Letter Word", and "Let Me Fall For You".
5. Lady Antebellum- "Hello World" and "As You Turn Away"
6. Lifehouse- "Broken", "Had Enough" and "Everything".
7. Matt Nathanson- "Kiss Quick" and "Run"
8. Neil Diamond- "Sweet Caroline", "I Am I Said", and "You Don't Bring Me Flowers".
9. P!nk- Love em all!
10. Taylor Swift- "Back To December" and "Ours"
11. The Script- "Nothing" and "First Time"
12. Kelly Clarkson- "Mr. Know It All"
13. Gavin DeGraw- "Not Over You"
14. Maroon 5- "Moves Like Jagger"
15. The Civil Wars- "Poison and Wine"
16. Breaking Benjamin- "Breath"
17. LMFAO- "Sexy and I Know It"
18. Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood- "Remind Me"
19. Evanescence- "Lost In Paradise"
20. Brandon Flowers- "Crossfire"

What's playing in your iPod?

No comments:

Post a Comment