Today is my birthday and I won't lie to you. It is kind of a hard one for me. I thought turning 30 was tough, but that had more to do with things going on in my personal life at that time. This one is tough in a different way. 35... aren't you half way to dead at that age??? Just kidding. I have joked with many people about officially hitting cougar status this year. But really isn't age a state of mind anyway? In my mind, I am still twenty something and I think I will stay there for awhile :). As I have reflected the last few days on getting older, I have thought about what I have learned in those 35 years of my life and I thought I might share them.
Here are 35 things that I have learned in the last 35 years:
1. Growing up in a small town can be a great thing.
2. Not everyone has parents as amazing as mine.
3. You can hate your siblings and yet love them at the same time
4. Good friends are the ones you can trust with your darkest secrets.
5. Laughter is a necessary part of every single day.
6. Children know just how to make you feel loved.
7. Life isn't always fair.
8. Bad things do happen to Good people.
9. Life isn't a fairytale no matter how much you wish it was.
10. Sometimes people promise forever and they really don't mean it or they change their mind.
11. When you are heartbroken, your heart really does feel like it's in pieces and that does change you.
12. Life will throw you curve balls.That's a guarantee.
13. You are stronger than you know you are.
14. The greatest strength needed to overcome things does not require physical strength.
15. Spandex is never a good wardrobe choice no matter what people say.
16. Dogs really can be your best friend.
17. Competition isn't always about winning, but about doing your best. (Took me a long time to learn this one).
18. It is the little things that matter.
19. People are more important than possessions.
20. Music is healing.
21. The World is amazing and beautiful.
22. We are all Children of God.
23. Forgiveness is as necessary in life as breathing.
24. Who you were in high school is not who you will be years later.
25. Each day of life is precious.
26. Death is as beautiful as life.
27. Sometimes it is more fun to be an adult when you act like a child.
28. Love is Eternal.
29. Karma really is a bitch. (Sorry for the language).
30. Hard work will take you further than intelligence will.
31. Kindness does begat kindness.
32. Your actions do affect others.
33. It is important to challenge yourself.
34. Who you think you are now is not who you will be in another 35 years.
35. Faith and family are the most important things in this life.
Now I am curious which ones you agree with and what life lessons you have learned. I would love to hear your thoughts and hope you share yours with me. What have you learned?